By J. L. Heilbron
* Inventing a detector for electromagnetic waves
* getting to know the life of alpha and beta rays in uranium radiation
* growing (with Frederick Soddy) the "disintegration conception" of radioactivity, which regards radioactive phenomena as atomic -- now not molecular -- processes
* Demonstrating that the interior constructions of components correspond with a gaggle of traces that signify them, which can then be assigned an atomic quantity and, extra vital, the homes of every aspect might be outlined by means of this number
* And his maximum contribution of all - he came across that the atom had a nucleus and that it contained the certainly charged proton
From his early days as a scholarship pupil to the top of his lifestyles as he persisted to paintings in his lab, Ernest Rutherford finds the lifestyles and occasions of 1 of the best minds of the 20th century.
Oxford images in technological know-how is an on-going sequence of medical biographies for teenagers. Written by means of best students and writers, every one biography examines the character of its topic in addition to the concept technique resulting in his or her discoveries. those illustrated biographies mix available technical details with compelling own tales to painting the scientists whose paintings has formed our figuring out of the normal world.
Read Online or Download Ernest Rutherford: And the Explosion of Atoms (Oxford Portraits in Science) PDF
Similar biographies & memoirs of scientists books
So much remedies of the chilly warfare try to verify the political and clinical affects of the nuclear age and the horrors of guns of mass destruction. whereas there are dramatic tales within the background and technology of nuclear energy, one usually neglected element is that complete groups have been created to aid the advance of nuclear strength.
The 1st complete biography of the visionary and craftsman who outlined the fashionable glass undefined. With 9 businesses and forty nine patents bearing his identify, Michael J. Owens is a ironically inconspicuous effect on everyday life. His invention of the Owens Bottle computing device revolutionized the box undefined, making mass-marketed nutrition and drinks either sanitary and continually proportioned.
This can be a complete publication at the existence and works of Leon Henkin (1921–2006), a unprecedented scientist and perfect instructor whose writings grew to become influential correct from the start of his occupation along with his doctoral thesis on “The completeness of formal structures” below the course of Alonzo Church.
"L’uomo che ha inventato il XX secolo" è l. a. biografia di Nikola Tesla, il testo più esauriente mai scritto sulla vita e sulle invenzioni del geniale scienziato, colui che ha regalato all’umanità los angeles corrente alternata, l’illuminazione a fluorescenza, los angeles radio, l’energia idroelettrica, los angeles sismologia - solo consistent with citare alcune invenzioni.
- Die Liebe hat elf Dimensionen: Mein Leben mit Stephen Hawking (German Edition)
- Sam Goudsmit (Dutch Edition)
- François Arago: A 19th Century French Humanist and Pioneer in Astrophysics (Astrophysics and Space Science Library)
- A Kansan Conquers the Cosmos: or, “Spaced Out All My Life!”
- Leonhard Euler and the Bernoullis: Mathematicians from Basel
- Reflections:The Magic, Music and Mathematics of Raymond Smullyan
Additional resources for Ernest Rutherford: And the Explosion of Atoms (Oxford Portraits in Science)